The internship programs at the Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary provide individuals with unique opportunities to advocate for and connect with farm animals, establish community with like-minded people, and acquire valuable knowledge of the various facets of animal protection.
As a nonprofit organization with limited funds, WFAS Internships are unpaid, but very rewarding!
The hard work and dedication of WFAS interns is a vital part of our work. The commitment of interns helps us rescue, provide care and advocate for suffering victims of food animal production.
Interns are asked to fulfill a 40-hour per week schedule over a two to three month commitment. However, if your availability is different or you have special timing requests, you can note this in your letter of interest when applying. All applicants must be 18 years of age or older with a demonstrated commitment to the goals and programs of WFAS.
Interns are responsible for buying and preparing their own food. For internships where housing is provided, weekly trips to the grocery store are provided for interns without vehicles.
Limited housing MAY be available. If your application is contingent upon housing, please note this in your letter of interest.
Out of respect for the animals and the work that WFAS does, all staff and interns are required to be vegan (no meat, dairy products, eggs, honey, or other animal byproducts) while on sanctuary grounds. Shared kitchen facilities are available. Food markets and restaurants are within 15 minutes drive.
Most internships are available year round. Positions are filled on an ongoing basis as applications are received. Summer positions fill quickly, so if you’re interested in these months, be sure to contact us well in advance. We also encourage you to consider an internship during non-summer months. Our need for dedicated interns from September through April is as great as ever.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Animal feeding and watering
- Barn and habitat cleaning and enrichment
- Shelter cleaning projects
- Assisting with animal health checks
- Animal monitoring for special needs animals
- Good animal behavior observation skills
- Ability to work in harsh/all weather conditions
- Ability to perform strenuous physical labor and lifting
- Must be able to follow detailed instructions and meet animal care schedules
- Ability to work well with variety of people
- Very reliable and dependable
- Commitment to WFAS’ animal care policies and standards
- Commitment to WFAS’ organizational programs and goals
- Volunteer commitment of 40 hours per week
- Weekends and holidays may be required
- Two to three month commitment required
- Opportunity to learn from and interact with our shelter animal residents
- Opportunity to gain considerable knowledge of farm animal care
- Working with like-minded and committed animal activists
- Gain experience beneficial for future employment
To apply for a WFAS Internship:
IF YOU HAVE FURTHER QUESTIONS…
For questions about our Volunteer Internship Program prior to filling out an application, please call 845-679-5955 or fill out our contact form. Thank you for your interest in Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary!